Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Never was a thug, just infatuated with blogs

So, if I ever want to post something in reference to a blog that I heard about from a friend, do I need to do the "via" thing and credit the friend even if he hasn't posted about that specific thing? The issue is that I just subscribed myself to five sites I saw on Keyhole's bloglines, and I am worried about what will happen when I see something on one of them worth sulking about.

The parallels don't quite line up but in a general sense, this is not entirely dissimilar from the Dershowitz/Ilyinsky plagiarism-or-not thing. Technically it's probably acceptable to limit linkage to the original blog, but it'll be pretty suspect if I start talking about something on "BibliOdyssey" and pretending like that is just a site I have always loved to read. Basically, Keyhole, if I see a rainbow while I'm looking through you, how should I cite my sources?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all love. Attribution isn't strictly necessary. I suppose it could be nice sometimes, but from another perspective, like, why should I get credit just for reading or linking to a thing? I did not create that thing. At time it seems like the blog that links to an article and then gets reblogged receives more credit that the author of the article; often the actual writer is never even ID'd. I HAVE SEEN THIS HAPPEN ON SOME BLOGS.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home