Monday, February 11, 2008

Strong words

While writing another thing I used the word 'invariably,' which made me think: there are a couple of words that mean kind of the same thing, except they describe it in slightly different terms. I can think of three-- 'uncompromisingly,' 'unequivocally,' and 'unambiguously'-- though I'm sure there are more. If 'invariably' refers to the frequency with which a thing happens (100%), then

--'uncompromisingly' refers to the conviction with which the person who causes that thing to happen does so,
--'unequivocally' refers to the passion/resolve with which that person talks about it (a lot),
-- and 'unambiguously' refers to the way it appears to other people (they think it is the real thing).

Pretty much ten toes all the way down, as my friend Saskrotch likes to say: "no half steppin', just ten fuckin' toes, all the way down."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home