Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Is it okay to just post things?

From Franny and Zooey: Zooey is in the tub and his mother is hovering around. She comes across a manuscript he's been reading and says it's an unusual title. Zooey laughs at her and she gets defensive.

"What's the matter with that title? It is very unusual. You! You don't think anything's unusual or beautiful! I've never once heard you--"

"What? Who's doesn't? Exactly what don't I think isn't beautiful?" A minor groundswell soudned behind the shower curtain, as though a rather delinquent porpoise were suddenly at play. "Listen, I don't care what you say about my race, creed, or religion, Fatty, but don't tell me I'm not sensitive to beauty. That's my Achilles' Heel, and don't you forget it. To me, everything is beautiful. Show me a pink sunset and I'm limp, by God. Anything. 'Peter Pan.' Even before the curtain goes up at 'Peter Pan.' I'm a goddam puddle of tears. And you ahve the gall to try to tell me that--"
I guess there are kind of ways to be sarcastic in a way that's not totally stale/generic, is what this means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home