Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Problem in "Smack That"

When I originally heard the Akon/Eminem song I was pretty underwhelmed and thought the Eminem verse was kind of phoned-in, or at best a regressive, nostalgic impersonation of Slim Shady. Ever since I hadn't really listened closely to what he's saying, until just now, while I was driving my car from the front of the house around the corner to the garage. It turns out the verse is actually pretty weird: Eminem is rapping about a situation that arises at a dance club in which "Smack That" is playing. Look:
Ooh! Looks like another club banger.
They better hang on
When the throw this thing on.
Get a little drink on, they gon' flip.
For this Akon shit, you can bank on it.
So far he's just predicting what will happen when they play this song on the dancefloor. That's what a philistine might call "meta", but it's actually relatively pedestrian since there are about a million songs that self-consciously identify themselves as songs. No, the Eminem verse gets weirder:
Pedicure, manicure, kitty cat claws,
The way she climbs up and down them poles.
Lookin' like one of them Pussycat (?) Dolls.
Tryna hold my woody back through my drawers.
She steps off stage, didn't think I saw her.
Creeps up behind me and she's like, you're -
I'm like, yeah I know, let's cut to the chase.
No time to waste, back to my place.
Plus from the club to the crib's like a mile away.
Or more like a palace, shall I say.
And plus I got a pal, if your gal is game.
In fact, he's the one singing the song that's playing!
To sum up, what happens is that Eminem's in the club and he's watching a cat-like girl dancing on a pole. She comes over to him and starts to say "You're Eminem!" when he cuts her off and invites her to come back to his house. "Plus I got a pal, if your gal is game / In fact, he's the one singing the song that's playing!" I don't really need to spell out the punch line at this point, but basically, he asks the girl if her girlfriend wants to join them, because he's got a man-friend who might be interested. The man-friend is Akon - the one singing the song that's playing. "Smack That." They're listening to "Smack That"!! :PPPPP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home